First I'll tell you what I do. When I first started digi-scrapping a year ago, I was finishing up Kathryn's scrapbook for her 2nd year of life. And I had done those with paper and they were 12x12. So, I printed my pages individually, 12x12 so that they could go in the same album. I used Scrapbookpictures.com. I thought that was what I was going to do, so I printed everything I had done when there was a sale and it ended up being enough to finish off 2006. I was extremely impressed with the printing job and since I was still using freebies, it seemed cheap enough.
While waiting for another sale, there was a buzz about Shutterfly books and got a couple free ones to try out. Even before I ordered them, I decided that's what I wanted to do. It is much cheaper than printing individually and you don't have to pay for an album and page protectors (which you don't really need for digital anyway!). I had read a lot and realized that most people print their layouts at 8x8. I had never even thought about it, but it sounded good to me! Plus, that's much cheaper than 12x12.
So, I personally prefer the books and that's what I intend to do. I have used Shutterfly and was very impressed, but for my next book, I am going to try Viovio. The navigation on their site is pretty confusing, but their prices are so much better. They don't have 8x8, which at first I didn't like, but then I decided it didn't really matter anyway. I would like my books to be consistent in size, but it's not a big deal if they're not. And hopefully they will be from here on out anyway. I plan to do an 8.5x8.5 book with them. Supposedly the quality is as good or almost as good as Shutterfly, but they aren't as big a company and don't advertise as much so they can afford to keep the prices low. Something like that... :)
Here's a little overview:
You should definitely check out Digiscrapinfo. They have a TON of information about sites that print.
I have personally tried:
- Scrapbookpictures (I highly recommend them and there is a sale through the end of February too!)
- Shutterfly (also highly recommended, except that will hopefully change after trying out Viovio)
- Scrapbooks to Share (I didn't care much for this. They let you get a sample, so check that out. I had two problems. I didn't like the white border around the edge-12x12, not sure if there is one for 8x8--and I didn't like the paper. One is way too thin and the other is just cardstock with a nicer finish. I just prefer photo paper I guess. The prices are decent, but shipping is not unless you order a bunch. I did just look again and it appears they are offering photo paper now, but it's not cheap!)
Like I mentioned above, digiscrapinfo has some great information.




Thank you so much! This information helps a lot!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree! Thanks for sharing all your wisdom with us! Do you worry about letting your kiddos look through one of your Shutterfly books? No page protectors or anything?
ReplyDeleteI think I'm sticking with VioVio- did you hear that they now have 12x12?
ReplyDeleteI love love love having them printed in book form. I have 4 so far and all 4 of them combined still take up less space than my 1 of my paper albums does.
Thanks for the tips!
Thanks for the insight... I've been printing my pages at the local staples which was great when it was 4.50 now it's $7. So I'll be looking into your suggestions!
ReplyDelete